This is the continuation to our Life Coach Keith Dent’s 5 Keys to a Sustainable Marriage Series which started last week. Read On and good luck!
Do you know your spouse’s personality?
Do you know your future spouse’s personality? What makes them tick? Why do most women ask so many questions? If you didn’t realize it, your future spouse’s personality will help shape everything in your marriage; how he/she handles the kids, the finances, and even sex. It will be important to understand their personality when dealing with important, sensitive issues in your marriage. Read how Rick had no clue of the temperament of his wife, Susan.
- Rick: Hey, sweetie, can I talk to you for a minute?
- Susan: Sure, what’s up?
- Rick: I really didn’t appreciate the fact you were speaking for me the other day at the hotel?
- Susan: You never had a problem with my aggressiveness before. What’s the problem now?
- Rick: It didn’t bother me as much, but now that we are married you don’t have to step in all the time!
- Susan: Well, I am who I am. You can’t just all of a sudden flip the script on me when it suits you. You knew who you were marrying.
- Rick: I am not trying to change you, but I can take care of myself.
- Susan: Well, if it bothered you, you should have spoken sooner.
This is common conflict in marriage. I often hear: “He/she isn’t who I thought they were.” There could be two reasons for this:
- During the dating the phase of the relationship, you did not ask the right questions; and,
- You did not really understand your own temperament so how could you know your partner’s.
So how can you better understand your personality as well as your future spouse’s prior to marriage? Following, there is a survey, which will help you get a sense of your ideals, opportunities, and challenges. Understanding your personalities will be a main building block to putting your married life on the path to success.
So here it is: Key#1 To A Sustainable Marriage Worksheet!
In our next blog we will analyze the strengths/weaknesses of the four temperaments and how you must communicate with each other as a Key to a Sustainable Marriage!
I look forward to taking this journey with you,
Coach Keith Dent is a Life Coach who specializes in relationships. He lives in West Orange, New Jersey. You can find more about him and his amazing programs at http://facebook.com/strivetosucceed.dent. You can read his blog at strivetwosucceed.wordpress.com
Photo Credit Priscilla Barbosa Photography http://www.priscillabarbosa.com